Thursday, January 7, 2010

France-ness

So here I am in France, without ever photographing and posting about my Christmas knitting. There wasn't a whole lot of it, but enough to warant a post with pictures surely. I produced a scarf from Knitted Lace of Estonia for my sister - the peacock and leaf scarf, except much longer and in white angora. For my brother I made a pair of socks, in blue with a knit two, purl one, one seedstitch, purl one rib (which was very successful) with a green cuff. I also made a document carrying bag for my dad out of green leaf-patterned brocade.

I'm staying in Grenoble for the next month and studying French at the CUEF (Centre Universitaire d'Etudes Françaises). I'm living with a host family in the center of grenoble; right in the old city. I take the tram to class every day - the stop is a block or so away, and I have a 20 minute ride.

The tram is pretty awesome. It runs on electricity, and is very quiet. There are wires overhead, but only two except at intersections. The rails are set into the pavement, and cars drive over them all the time. Because the electricity is in wires overhead, there is no third rail like the subway, and people step onto the tracks and cross over. Even when the tracks are separated from the road there is no barrier of any kind - at the station you just walk to the other side to change direction.

I forgot my camera (I don't know how - I walked right by it when I left) so there will likely be no pictures, but I'll still be able to post discriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment