Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Short Detour into Food

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I'm back. I have done some knitting, but mostly a lot of cooking. I'm working at a summer camp in Canada at the moment, and I have been in charge of the kitchen. I arrived a week ago, and immediately made dinner for 25 people. Since then I've been cooking at least one meal every day.

I went up to Langskib and made roast chicken for a Waldorf group, and fried eggs for breakfast. Back at Northwaters, I was only cooking occasionally, and for 12 people or so. I made Indian twice (in a row, but at the request of my boss), with dahl and potato-spinach and rice. I cooked corn chowder for lunch, with sandwhich fixings, and made tacos for dinner. This morning we had pancakes and boiled eggs and bacon for breakfast, and black bean soup (with chickpeas - I've been using up the wintered-over cans), also bagles. For dinner we're having lasagna and zucchini.

The hardest part about cooking for the masses is knowing how much people are going to eat. I hate having a ton of leftovers, and food going to waste, but I want to make sure everyone gets enough to eat. I thought that getting everything done on time would be a problem, but it hasn't been so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment